Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Who's ever lost a toenail?

So, last month we went on a Hawaiian cruise for a family reunion /vacation. It was really fun, and I know memories are supposed to last but I have one that I wish I could put behind me, but everyday I live with the consequences. I'll share it with you. *disclaimer, if you get grossed out easily, you may not want to continue reading

On one of the last days, we were in Kauai snorkeling. We didn't really have any instruction, we just rented some gear from one of the booths and jumped in off the shore. Where we went was supposedly the best place around to snorkel and it really was amazing--my best memory on the trip. But, as we were swimming back in we got stuck in a really shallow part and I swear I was going to brush all the anemones with my knees as I kicked my flippers. I didn't want to stand on them either... that's bad, right?...so I decided to back up and try to go in at a better place. I turned around and my sister Karie was just chilling standing on this rock. I decided that'd be fun and apparently safe, so I tried to stand up...but I was still facing forward. Apparently you're supposed to stand up backwards. But, I ended up kicking the rock somehow right where the little hole is on your flippers. All I knew was it really hurt and my toenail looked blue. There were still anemones on some of the rocks so I thought maybe one of them stung (is that what they do?) me or something. I suffered my way through the water and the beach. I got to the fam and took off my flipper and said I think I got stung and my dad was like...mmm, I don't know about that, but you sure ripped your toenail off.


I looked down and this is what it looked like. If anyone's ever done that, it hurts. a lot. Plus you can see that I had lots of rocks and shells stuck in there and the life guard came to look at it and she made me pick the rocks out with tweezers! Eesh.

I had to walk around with this big bandage all day and it hurt for the rest of the cruise, and more.

(*Hope you enjoy the picture :) I think it's kindof cool, but Jeremy hates looking at it)


It doesn't really hurt now, but it's only connected at the sides. I can't go running or anything because I'll "damage my Matrix..." and then my toenail will never grow back right. So they say. I'm debating whether to pull it off and get it over with...but it's kinda stuck along the sides. I don't see how it's possible.

So...all you people out there, if you've ever lost a toenail, what's your advice? Yank it off, or does it fall off itself?

2 comments:

)en said...

That is a great and gruesome story. I can't believe you had rocks and shells stuck inside. Ha ha. So gross. I'm sorry though, because that sounds like it would hurt like a mother.

I've never lost a toenail but i have lost a thumbnail. I slammed my thumb in a car door. My advice would be to let it fall off on its own accord, as tempting as it might be to pull it off. Just keep it safe and then have a party the day it falls off.

Rachel said...

Please PLEASE don't pull it off! I'm glad to see you back in the blogging world. I feel much closer to you already. :)