Monday, February 18, 2008

Consistency

My boss asked me today if I enjoyed writing and proceeded to tell me that he's decided to practice writing short stories just because he wanted to. My mind reflected back to the times where I used to write more and how that can bring a greater dimension to your life. I had lots of opportunities to write in high school, and college, and enjoyed being able to think about things, and then try to make my thoughts make sense into words. I used to keep a pretty regular journal too. On my mission I wrote lots of letters and long emails where I was able to put down on paper (figuratively speaking) the random stream of thoughts and events that had stuck in my mind that week. Of all the things I've written I most enjoy looking back and reading the "Not a Postcard Experience" letters of Andrea and I in Costa Rica. Yesterday I finally revisited my sisters blog of her adventures in Spain, and from that I could learn what was important to her at this time in her life. What excites her, what she appreciates and enjoys about what she sees and does. I miss doing that, and in order to do it, to think about it. I get too preoccupied with what's going on in my life and stop taking time to do things that may seem unimportant, but I feel that the time you take to do the seemingly meaningless things are what allows you to appreciate what's going on around you all the time. What brings the depth back into your life.
In short.. I want to be consistant in the little things. In thinking, writing, and appreciating the world around me.

Hopefully that will mean more blog posts...

2 comments:

Karianne Salisbury said...

I like your post Ruthie and I'm glad you are going to be doing more. I always stop by occasionally to see if you have put anything up and usually you haven't. :)

It really is the little things that make the difference.

Lianna said...

yep, glad to see you are back, I missed you.
Don't rip your toenail off. Did you make sure it's not infected with coral? I wilyou soonl call