Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Its cold in here

This is me right now. Obviously I'm a little older than she is, but that's what I feel like. Plus, I really like her hat. My apartment is freezing cold! I'm really craving one of these right now. so I can type while I freeze. (This is apparantely the original, I love how they look like monks :) )

Technically I probably wouldn't receive any long term damage from prolonged exposure, but it's definetly colder than is comfortable. Usually, I would simply turn up the heat until it reached a more pleasurable temperature, but as of yesterday, I'm going on strike. Why? Because I just paid the electric bill and it's gotten high enough.

I've got to be able to survive a few days without a heater right? I understand that it's December, but the bill was almost $100! If we lived in a nice comfortable house I would be a little more understanding, but we live in a 744 sq ft apartment and I definitely don't feel that should warrant such a bill. I'm all about finding a cheaper way to live.

We've tried a few things already-- We usually turn off the heater at night and use extra blankets which I'm assuming helped somewhat. For awhile we also had towels and old shirts that we left along the window sills to reduce the draft, but that backfired.

Because...

Apparently our windows get super soggy with condensation, and then all our towels turned moldy. Nasty. Is that the window's problem or something we're doing?



We figured it'd be a little drafty in an old apartment, but one of the reasons we chose a 3rd floor apartment was because we figured it would save us some dough on the heating bill. Hot air rises right? So it would make sense that we would benefit from the heaters of those below us. There have been a few chilly days where its been pretty toasty up here even with our heat off, but it doesn't seem to have helped at all.

Next thing on the list: strike :)

I'm open to other suggestions to draft-proof the house or to otherwise save some $$ on the electric bill. I'm also really trying to keep fewer lights on and unplug appliances BTW. Just so you know.

5 comments:

May Family said...

They sell window kits at Wal-mart and I'm sure other stores that help reduce the draft. They just stick around the outside of your window and then you use a blow dryer to take out the crinkles. They have worked pretty well in our apartment, although you can't use the blinds very well.

Unknown said...

ditto what May Family said. That plastic-wrap stuff does a good job on cutting out the drafts. Really, though, $100 for heat in the winter doesn't sound unreasonably high. I def pay more than that each month for heat...

Ruthie said...

Thanks guys, I'll definetly have to check that stuff out. Does it work with big windows? And to defend my concern, it's been in the 60s most of the winter, so doesn't that make it seem more absurd? Mostly I'm just cheap :)--but I like to do what I can

Unknown said...

big windows.... hmm... well I guess the windows have to be smaller than the plastic or else you're outta luck. I guess I don't know how much electric heat should cost.. i've always used gas...

Mindy said...

I was going to suggest the plastic wrap for windows too, but it looks like your friends already mentioned that. We got our plastic at Menards and have big and tall windows--so far so good.
Maybe going to bed a lot earlier to save on lighting in the evening--basically just being awake during the lighted hours might help. Then, as my husband always suggests, snuggling could help.