Wednesday, July 05, 2006

July 5, 2006

It's been an exciting week. A lot of things have happened, not super significant, but it's made the week fly by. It's already the last week of the transfer again which means we just got done deep cleaning the apartment. We actually slept over at the other Sister's apartment and helped them do theirs this morning since we were pretty sure no one's cleaned in there for at least a year. They needed help. Other than the layers of dust, one giveaway was the Elder's Patriarchal Blessing we found under the bed who's been gone for a good while. It looks a lot better now.

This week we were able to meet the new mission president. They are in my ward so I met the family (wife and 3 kids) on Sunday but Pres. Peterson was at a meeting in Toledo. On Monday we met with 2 zones and the whole family got to talk to us. I found out that President Peterson was the seminary principle at my high school for my junior and senior year. He mentioned teaching at Riverton and I wondered, but I wouldn't have recognized him. They're all nice and fun. It'll be fun.

I hope everyone's Fourth went well. President Peterson didn't go for the same rules Pres. Motzkus had about it, so we proselyted the full day and could only stay out for fireworks if an investigator invited us. (They usually stop proselyting at 5 and do visits with a 12:00 curfew and all can watch fireworks) It almost worked out so we could go, but we just ended up having a BBQ at a member's with the Elders and the AP's in our ward and went home afterward. We had to drive to the other Sister's apt so we could see some from the car. Not the best, but I guess I can miss two years of
fireworks. There's worse things to worry about :)

We had one day this week that Sister Rios said was the hardest day of her mission. Everyone was really rude and we got an excessive amount of comments how we're not even Christian and how Mormons aren't good people. It was pretty harsh, but I think I've become a little more immune to it. I guess it happens more in this area.I thought it was normal but the other sisters say they hardly ever hear it either. If that's bad I'm excited to see what other areas are like.

Saturday we spent a lot of it at Kirtland. We had a member take us and our apartment manager's wife Jasmina up there for a tour. We usually teach people more before we bring them there, but Jasmina never has time or place to teach and wanted to see Sister Clove. I prepped Sis Clove and she gave a special tour including all the basics and it ended up being really powerful. It was cool because Jasmina is from Serbia and doesn't always understand a lot. She said she just went on a tour of Amish country and couldn't understand anything they said, but at Kirtland she understood almost everything. That's what the spirit can do.it really is amazing.

The highlight of the week was our investigator that came to church. We met him a few weeks ago and he was really friendly and is very active in the Catholic church. We talked to him one day about the LDS church's morals and he loved how they were all similar. At first he seemed like he wasn't really considering learning to join, but said he's come to church "one week." He started reading the Book of Mormon and enjoys it and came last Sunday to see what it was like. He could only stay for Sacrament Meeting because he hasn't missed a week of his church for 15 years, but he was really impressed with everything. Next week he's staying for all of them. He's really smart and asks lots of really good questions and is always impressed with the answers. I think he recognized the difference in "our" church and it really makes sense to him. We're excited to really get to teach him and see how he "remembers" everything as we teach it. Our district goal was to "Go Green" (in reference to our Teaching Pool) meaning that we would each have a Progressing Investigator that came to church, and we did it. I love achieving goals.

Well, that's it for now. We get to go home and clean OUR apartment now. I know, you're all jealous :) Thanks for all your feedback.

This week's question:
What's your favorite scripture and why?

Thanks again!
With Love,
Sister Ruthie Salisbury

No comments: