“..and they make you shiver.”
Hey all,
So, my first baptism is in 3 days-George Taips. We moved it up to the 22nd so he could get confirmed in Sacrament Meeting the next day. I didn't know about converts having to wait to get confirmed until the next Sunday, but apparently a good number of people get baptized and don't get confirmed. George is so excited though. We asked him if he wanted to move his baptism back a week so he wouldn't get mentally or physically exhausted (remember he's 85), but he said, "I want to be a member of the Latter-day Saints as soon as possible." And so it is. We're taking him to Kirtland on Friday to
take a tour and watch the Joseph Smith movie. I'm excited. hopefully he is too.
I went on exchanges for the first time on Friday. The Elders in our ward go on exchanges with the AP's all the time and get lots of good help. Then they always talk about it and it makes no sense to me. Mostly I try to apply stuff they learn and it just makes me confused and then I give up. We'd been complaining that Sisters don't have anyone to go on exchanges with so they don't get to have extra bonuses to help them be better missionaries. I guess exchanges are supposed to be for "leadership" positions. But, we
asked for permission to switch with the other Sisters in our district and they let us. I can't say it was my favorite experience though. I ended up staying in my area and the other sister, Sister Byers came here. It was lame though because I still can't drive and I don't really know where anything is because Sister Clove knows the area well. So, we got lost a couple times far away, and then I also had to make all the decisions. Anyone knowing me knows I'm not really the most decisive person and it's a really bad time having to choose to do everything without even any input! Granted she doesn't really know what would be best for the area or any of our investigators, but I wish we could carry some of the information over somehow. It was good for me though, and I saw how different parts of my personality come out when I'm working with a different person. It was enlightening.
That night our ward put on an Easter Cantata-an orchestra and choir program from the stake. Some guy asked the missionaries to set up displays at the entrances and meet & greet any visitors that were coming. We didn't really get to talk to many people, but it was fun setting up the table. I neglected to get seats though and we all ended up sitting in the foyer. I hear it looked cool from inside.
Transfers are tomorrow. I'm staying and so is Sis. Clove. There's crazy amounts of changes though. Here's a weird thing. So, there's a set of Elders in our ward with us and as it works out, half of our meals with ward members are our of our area. And, now they are redoing some boundaries and the Elders are getting put in a different district, but not only that, they're in another ZONE. So for those of you that know how missions work
can see how messed up this is. Not only are the Elders in the same ward with us in another zone, but technically we have to ask permission from the AP's to go to dinner at ward members houses. And since the church building is in our area, the Elder's have to get permission to go to church. Messed huh. We figure they'll give us free reign within the ward boundaries. Hopefully, or this could get fun.
Anyway, I'm mentally done writing, but here's a few funny things about Ohio. I have pictures, but don't have a way to send them yet. Check my blog though, sometime I'll get them to Jen to post. (Thanks jen:)) And it's www.ruthiesays.blogspot.com . But, not only do they have obsessions with St. Patricks Day, but I think just decorations in general. There's a couple of houses here with their ENTIRE yards covered in huge inflatable animals. I think one had about 20. And their yards aren't that big. I hear Christmas
was even better.
Next thing, Honeybaked Ham. Apparantely it's really good and I guess lots of people need it to make Easter dinner a success. But last Thursday they had the turning lane into the restaurant blocked off with cones, as well as a path way through their parking lot. Then, they had 2 cops directing traffic and there was a line of people waiting in line out the door and through the parking lot! At one point there had to be at least 50 people in
line. It was like that all the way until Easter. I tried to take a picture but by the time I did there weren't many people waiting, but it was still blocked off. Imagine when you see it.
Last random thing, I know two families of kids that either are or were in my ward here. Both connected from the Testing Center actually. (For anyone that knows them or cares, Dave, Rosa & Gabe Parma, and Angie & Aaron(Huff) Huffaker) None of the kids are in the ward anymore, but the Parma's still live here and Dave & Rosa were visiting and showed up at church one week. Craazy.
Anyway, that's it for now. Thanks for listening. And, I don't remember who's on my list since my mom forwards these, but if anyone doesn't want all of these emails, tell me and you can just check them on my blog once they're posted. Love you all.
--Sister Ruthie Salisbury
and for anyone who thinks I'm weird the email subjects were something someone said once about the Rocky River Sisters that made me laugh...
No comments:
Post a Comment